Cancer Pain: Treatments to Manage Cancer Pain
Pain management for cancer patients is a complex process that benefits from a multimodal approach, often involving various healthcare professionals. Dr. Rany Abdallah, as a pain management specialist, is an essential part of the team. He uses a broad range of treatments to provide relief from cancer pain. Some clinically proven examples of pain management treatments for pain caused by cancer include:
1. Nerve blocks: Nerve blocks involve injecting medication around specific nerves to block pain signals. Dr. Abdallah may use this technique to manage cancer pain in specific areas of the body.
2. Physical therapy: Physical therapy can help cancer patients manage pain by improving your strength, flexibility, and range of motion. We might refer patients to physical therapists who can assist them in cancer pain management.
3. Alternative therapies: Some cancer patients may benefit from alternative therapies such as acupuncture, massage therapy, psychotherapy, or meditation. Dr. Abdallah may recommend these therapies in combination with other pain management treatments to provide relief from cancer pain.
4. Medications: Dr. Abdallah may prescribe different types of medications, including opioids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and adjuvant analgesics. These drugs can help to relieve cancer pain and improve the patient’s quality of life.
5. Palliative care: Palliative care is a specialized medical care that aims to improve the quality of life of patients with serious illnesses. Dr. Abdallah can work with palliative care specialists to provide comprehensive pain management for cancer patients.
6. Intrathecal Pump Implantation: A procedure that implants a small device under the skin of the abdomen or lower back. The pump delivers medication directly into the spinal fluid, which allows for lower doses to be used.
It is important to note that this is a sample of all the options available; the appropriate pain management approach will vary depending on the individual patient’s condition and the specific cause(s) of your pain. Therefore, patients should always consult with Dr. Abdallah and your entire healthcare provider team to determine the most appropriate multimodal treatment options for your specific needs.
Call 855-932-7426 for a Real-Time Rapid Response appointment see Rany Abdallah MD, PhD, MBA.
At APICO Pain Management, we treat our patients like family.
#cancerpain #painmanagement #ranyabdallah #oncologypain #multimodalpainLeave a reply